Apparently I have written a lot of angry rants this quarter while I was supposed to be studying. Since I’m throwing the paper away anyhow, I’ll go ahead and put its contents here:
1. If its creators pay it little respect, do I really owe it any respect beyond this?
2. Every hour I work in the world of numbers, algorithms, and electronics convinces me further of the value of humans.
3. His refusal to play your game does not mean he is stupid. The fact that he is playing some other game does not mean he is stupid. His neglect of what is a high priority for you does not mean he is stupid. His focus is a separate context from your chosen context does not mean he is stupid. His rank in your game does not mean he is stupid. 99% of your definitions of “stupid” consist of defining part of you as a standard and then labeling everything else that falls short. Why not, instead of dismissing it all, you pull your head out of your ass and learn how people actually behave?
I don’t want you to regard all people as equal and correct in their own way or all with equally valid viewpoints or engage in any other pointless exercise in vague relativism. I want you, when you think you’re surrounded by idiots, to take a good, hard look at how contrived and confused your own definition of “idiot” is, instead of just putting up another brick in the wall that closes off your mind further.
4. Your game is a game, not reality. Go ahead and judge people on their ability to play, but recognize it for what it is instead of insisting that the game is some sort of universal truth.
5. Use abrasive speech that wears through a person’s ignorance, and expect a backlash as though you’d shredded that person’s clothes off.
6. It’s pretty straightforward. When I see you judge aperson by one facet of their behavior, you have in your mind turned that person into a tiny fraction of one.
I can’t expect you to not have instincts or emotions, but I can expect you to carry about you a self-awareness that turns you from an instinctive, emotional animal into a rational human.
7. My realm of familiarity is a dead end.
8. Moment of clarity, drowned in a sea of distraction.
No, I have no idea what I meant.